12/22/2010

Colour blindness




If you can read a letter in this dotted circle you are OK.

Being colour blind was only something I gradually became aware of.
I remember at age 8 I wondered why my sister's lottery price was a white pig.
Apparently it wasn't so white. Later in school we all did the colour blindness tests
and I scored really poorly. My choice to become an artist had little to do with this
disability, though I felt I needed to make up for my handicap by being good at colour theory. This knnowledge not only helped me in painting but made sure in discussions that nobody around me suspected that I was colour blind.I felt aqward being a painter and not seeing colour "properly", stillI felt compelled to pursue my calling no matter what. And I can't see how colour blindness has been a disadvatage to me today.